Lemon Poppy Scones
Lemon poppy scones are a gorgeous way to ring in springtime - for breakfast, high tea or even dessert. Our recipe results in only six precious scones because we place that much emphasis on eating them straight out of the oven!
Recipe Images by Bruce Plotkin Photography.
Preparing the Dough
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the egg and heavy cream on low for 30 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients, zest and butter and mix until just combined and looking like a 'shaggy mass'.
- *If the dough is too dry, add a splash of whole milk or more until you have a soft, dry dough.
Forming and Chilling the Dough
- Moving the dough around as little as possible, gently roll dough out to 3/4" thickness and cut to desired size.
- Place formed dough onto parchment and cover.
- Chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
Baking and Glazing
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- While the oven is heating and the dough is chilling, make the glaze.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice, confectioners sugar, butter, poppy seeds and lemon zest until the glaze is smooth. Set aside.
- Bake scones for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove scones from oven, allow to cool slightly, drizzle glaze over scone and enjoy warm.